[XeTeX] Syriac abbreviations, and issues with polyglossia, fontspec and bidi

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Dec 22 16:17:10 CET 2009

Gareth Hughes wrote:

> I know most syriacists working on Macs end up
> using Mellel as their Syriac word processor. Does anyone happen to know
> how that handles complex Unicode layouts?

FWIW --- although I'm no Syriac scholar --- I tried your sample text
with the SAM (as you say) in Mellel ... and all the fonts come out the
same: no extension of the abbreviation marker.

Of course, I don't think I have the latest version of Mellel, either.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery