[XeTeX] unicode euro symbol (€) in input file

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Dec 21 21:02:34 CET 2009

Am 21.12.2009 um 17:46 schrieb Jan Kanis:

> Is there a way to make XeTeX give the right output when it
> encounters a
> unicode euro symbol in it's input? i.e. do the same as the \euro
> command?

What do you mean? That the € symbol always appears in a particular
sans-serif shape as defined by the EU? Then create a macro which
selects that font and prints this €!

	\newfontfamily{\official_EUR_font}{GFS Neohellenic}%-Regular looks
best, also GFS Artemisia, or: Capitals, Charcoal, Chicago, Monaco
	\newcommand{\euro}{{\official_EUR_font\upshape\textmd{€}Œš}}

Or make it an active character which does the same (in that case you
can simply type € in your invoice):

	\newfontfamily{\official_EUR_font}{GFS Neohellenic-Regular}% also GFS
Artemisia-Regular, or: Capitals, Charcoal, Chicago, Monaco
	\catcode"20AC=\active
	\def€{{\official_EUR_font\char"20AC}}

--
Greetings

   Pete

’Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to
thank her for it.
				— W.C. Fields