[XeTeX] unicode euro symbol (€) in input file

Jan Kanis jan at jankanis.nl
Mon Dec 21 17:46:49 CET 2009

(I'm not quite sure if this is the right list for these kind of user
questions. If not, please tell me which one is.)

Is there a way to make XeTeX give the right output when it encounters a
unicode euro symbol in it's input? i.e. do the same as the \euro
command?

I couldn't find anything online. I was thinking about defining the €
character as a special character, just like $ and such, but I couldn't
find how to do that. Is there a \defcharacter or something?

Jan