[XeTeX] rotating glyphs (still trying to make xetex/fontspec do what I want it to)

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Wed Dec 16 15:47:54 CET 2009

Ulrike,
> Well for a start you could enable other people to reproduce the problem so that they can investigate it. Which means: make a small, complete example which demonstrates the problem and which use -- if possible -- freely available fonts or at least fonts available on a lot of systems. Make also a pdf which shows the result you want to get (for the people you don't understand japanese).
Indeed. I thought the pdf file I attached the 11th was illustrative
enough, but it was not. I've compiled a new pdf file with "what XeTeX
does" vs. "What Photoshop does" and text explaining what's going wrong.
I will try to make a second copy of this with CJK fonts that are freely
available, and exhibit the same behaviour, so that people can test this
on their own system. In the mean time (free but complete CJK fonts are
not a bit sparse), this will have to do. The Kozuka fonts used come with
most adobe products (trial versions of photoshop, for instance, with
"all fonts" as install option selected will install these fonts), but
the other four fonts are pretty specific and I bought them as individual
fonts (I assume the arphic font can be found in the 211 arphic font
bundle, but that too costs a decent amount of money).

For now, the xelatex source, photoshop images and compiled pdf may be
found on http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/temp/fontproblems/
(using webspace rather than attaching the files, since the pdf is 382kb).

- Mike