[XeTeX] rotating glyphs (still trying to make xetex/fontspec do what I want it to)

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Dec 16 13:56:54 CET 2009

Am Wed, 16 Dec 2009 03:48:25 -0800 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still trying to make xetex/fontspec typeset vertical Japanese
> properly, for fonts that typeset properly in applications such as adobe
> photoshop or openoffice writer, but don't set properly in XeTeX with
> fontspec - where would I look to find out how xetex computes glyph
> position for rotated glyphs? When I apply fontspec for several fonts
> without any arguments, for instance, the glyph positioning looks fine,
> but when I issue a \fontspec[RawFeature=vertical]{fontname} or
> \fontspec[Vertical=RotatedGlyph]{fontname}, glyphs can become rather
> awkwardly positioned. For some fonts almost imperceivably, for others it
> screws up very badly, with glyphs overlapping and having wildly
> different h/v origins, and losing their monospaced look. If I add the
> opentype tags +fwid and/or +vpal to ensure monospacing, this problem
> doesn't go away.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled why WYSIWYG editors would get this right, while a
> typesetting language does not. Consider this not so much a complaint but
> a plea: how the hell do I fix this?

Well for a start you could enable other people to reproduce the
problem so that they can investigate it. Which means: make a small,
complete example which demonstrates the problem and which use -- if
possible -- freely available fonts or at least fonts available on a
lot of systems. Make also a pdf which shows the result you want to
get (for the people you don't understand japanese).

--
Ulrike Fischer