[XeTeX] TeXLive update issues

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Dec 16 00:03:06 CET 2009

    I wanted to get 2009 to live as the texmf-local tree of my current
    installation

If you mean all of TL 2009 is somehow the texmf-local tree, I can't
imagine that that will even come close to working.  They need to be
completely separate.

    I cannot interact with them from the command line.

Me no grok.  If you set PATH to have the TL'09 bin/whatever directory
first, you should get TL09.  Otherwise, the system.  As long as you
don't have other envvars set, this should be ok.  It's what many people
(including me) do.

    which steps should be performed as root

As far as the TL09 install is concerned, nothing *needs* to be done as
root -- as long as you have write access to the directories concerned,
that's all it needs.

    jigging around with configuration files

The best thing to do with configuration files is leave them alone :).