[XeTeX] Latex class for splitting page into two horizontal sections

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 19:33:20 CET 2009

Hello,

This is a latex-related question, I'd be grateful if someone can point
me in the right direction.

Is there a latex class/template that will let me break a page into two
sections separated by a horizontal ruler?

I would like to divide the text in my page between the top and bottom
portions, where the top portion consists of a small verse/statement
and the bottom portion contains elaborate explanation of the text
above. I've attached a scanned pdf that shows 2 sections within one
page.

Also, would it be possible to turn this splitting on/off as needed?
Sometimes, the bottom portion of the text can run into several pages
in which case the splitting needs to be turned off and only resumed
when necessary.

Thanks!
Ravi