[XeTeX] Kannada with XeTeX on Debian GNU/Linux

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Sat Aug 22 16:14:09 CEST 2009

Hello.

Le 4 août 09 à 18:17, Alok G. Singh a écrit :

Sorry about the late reply.

> I have defined a command to typeset Kannada text as follows:
>
> \newcommand{\kn}[1]{%Kannada text
> {\fontspec[Script=Kannada]{Kedage}%
> }}

If your text is mainly in Kannada, you could say in your preamble:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Script=Kannada]{Kedage}

> The problem is that if the text has any Latin characters in it, they
> are
> not rendered. This is true for all the fonts in the ttf-kannada-fonts
> Debian package.

Probably because those fonts don't include Latin letters. Your default
font being Kedage, you must use a command to select a Latin font:

\newfontfamily\latinfont{<any font including Latin script>}
\newcommand{\lat}[1]{\latinfont{#1}}

Then your text looks like this:

<text in Kannada script>
\lat{<text in Latin script>}