[XeTeX] Problem with typesetting table with Arabic characters with TeX Live 2009 on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04

Edin Salkovic edin.salkovic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:32:51 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Jonathan Kew<jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
> This is a LaTeX issue, nothing to do with the presence of the Arabic
> characters. It is coming from your tabular lines:
>
>  \arcell{لِتُفْعَلْ}&\arcell{اِفْعَلْ}\\
>  [You] Be done!&[You] Do!\\
>
> Here, LaTeX interprets [You] as an optional argument of the \\ command, and
> then complains (because the optional arg of \\ is supposed to be a
> dimension). Hence the error:
> I expect inserting \relax after \\, to terminate the scan for an optional
> arg, ought to fix your problem.

Thanks!  I suspected something like this was happening, but the
Windows issue was/is bugging me.

> (I'm surprised it works on Windows/MikTeX, actually; I don't know what's
> different about the two setups. Unless it's simply running in \scrollmode,
> so the error message flies past and the job continues, perhaps? Have you
> compared the logs?)

I apologize for the fuss.  As Johannes pointed out, the file
minimal.tex I processed on Windows is in fact different than the file
on Linux because of the line ends.

I'm generating (processing) some XeTeX files in Pyhon, and Python
prints out the line ends according to the underlying OS.  I have
attached the Windows version of the minimal.tex file that works fine
on Windows.  I haven't tried this version on GNU/Linux.

I still don't understand why the line end makes a difference?

Thanks,
Edin Salković