[XeTeX] No Non-English Hyphenation

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Aug 8 18:43:25 CEST 2009

Am Sat, 8 Aug 2009 18:29:11 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Kosch:

> No, that's the start of a regular *LaTeX* run. That's what I was saying; good
> old LaTeX finds all the patterns, XeTeX doesn't.
>
>> Run with xelatex
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
>> \begin{document}
>> abc
>> \end{document}.
>
> Works flawlessly with LaTeX, but XeTeX fails again with:
>
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
> (babel)                the language `ngerman'
> (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

You log-file shows that the xelatex format doesn't contain the
german patterns. The output of fmtutil you mentioned above doesn't
shows the generation of the xelatex format (but it shows that the
xetex format gets the german patterns). In miktex there is a GUI to
include/exclude formats, probably something similar exist in tex
live and you have exclude the xelatex format and are now using an
old version. Try to build the xelatex format explicitly. If still
fails send the log-file of the format generation.

--
Ulrike Fischer