[XeTeX] No Non-English Hyphenation

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Aug 8 01:55:05 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kosch wrote:

> looking for help here: my xe(la)tex (a pretty fresh TexLive 2008 install on
> Ubuntu) doesn't recognize any hyphenation patterns except the standard ones.
>
> Compiling a regular (or empty) document using the lines ...
>
>  \usepackage{polyglossia}
>  \setdefaultlanguage{german}
>
> ... results in:
>
>  Package polyglossia Warning:
>  No hyphenation patterns were loaded for `ngerman'
>  (polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for
>  \language=0
>  (polyglossia)                instead on input line 44.
>
>  Package polyglossia Warning:
>  \setlocalhyphenminuseless for unknown language
>  german on input line 159.

Hi Sebastian:

Can you send a minimal example? If I use:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%!TEX encoding =  UTF-8 Unicode
%!TEX TS-program =  xelatex

\documentclass[11pt]{memoir}
\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german}

\begin{document}
Grüß Gott!
\end{document}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It works fine here with TL 2008 and polyglossia v. 1.0.2. I get no error
message as you indicated.

You can run:
texdoc polyglossia

at your terminal to see the polyglossia documentation for whatever
version you have. In there it speaks of the `(n)german-x-latest'
patterns to be loaded if you set to true the option for `latesthyphen'.
(That's what the language.dat & language.def are indicating).

But send an example of what you're doing.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery