[XeTeX] Coordinating fonts in text and math mode: question from a new user

Hooman Javidnia hooman.javidnia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:58:39 CEST 2009

Hello there,
I am writing my dissertation and a few other documents that are
heavily mathematical. The solution that I came up with was to use
Myriad Pro as the main text font on Mac OS X. It looks beautiful (at
least to my eyes), it has both lining figures and text figures, and
most importantly, the minionpro package for LaTeX, provides all the
mathematical characters that you will need. This is the portion of
preamble where I define fonts:

% ===============================================
% = Font Specifications and XeLaTeX Definitions =
% ===============================================
\usepackage[mathlf]{MinionPro}% <- MinionPro loads MnSymbol and amsmath
\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont[]{Minion Pro}
\setsansfont[]{Myriad Pro}

You can use text figures in math mode.

I am not quite sure about Hoefler Text or Adobe Caslon if they have
associated mathematical packages made for them. And I think that all
the greek symbols that you need  are also available through MinionPro
package. Here is an excerpt from the documentation of the package:

Greek letters
The following options specify whether you want to use upright or
italic Greek letters in
math mode.
mixedgreek* uppercase Greek is upright, lowercase Greek is italic
italicgreek all Greek letters are italic
frenchmath all Greek letters and the uppercase Roman letters are upright

Hope this helps and good luck with your dissertation.

Regards,

Hooman