[XeTeX] A typography question

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Mon Aug 3 19:10:23 CEST 2009

Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> The only two scripts where I'd like to have closely
> matching styles are Latin and Cyrillic.  When it comes
> to Latin + Greek I'd rather choose a Greek font which looks
> good *as a Greek font* (and I still have to find one
> I really like -- I'm a sucker for the kind of Greek
> typography found in late 19th to early 20th century
> text editions), but I'd go through some pains so that
> the x-heights of the two fonts match.  Obviously
> lower-case Latin o and lower-case Greek omicron are
> good comparanda; I'd want them to look as of the
> same size.
>
> /BP 8^)>

You probably already know about the Greek Font Society
(http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces18th.html). I haven't
got a great eye for Greek typefaces, but they have a wide variety of
free fonts that, to me at least, look really great. Chances are good
you'll find a Greek face there to match your choice of roman type.

Peter