[XeTeX] Res: A typography question

Flavio Costa flaviocosta at yahoo.com.br
Mon Aug 3 06:12:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

I know nothing about Arabic typesetting, other people may help you here, but I can give you some advice:

I don't think that the need of IPA support has to restrict your choice of roman font. I use Minion Pro (not free) for the text body and Charis SIL [Scale=.95] for the parts where IPA is necessary. It works fine, but I need IPA only in short parts, you should try a combination that looks acceptable for your specific needs. You see that scaling is important to find a match between two fonts that would otherwise look bad together, maybe this also applies to the match between Roman and Arabic.

When looking for a match between different fonts (for needs like mixing different scripts or IPA support, else you should stick to just one typeface), you should be attentive to many details: glyph metrics should be similar, the color (how "dark" the letters are) should be compatible, etc.

If you want a no-brainer solution, the easiest way to go is to adopt a typeface that supports all your needs (DejaVu family instead of Charis SIL, for instance). In my tests, to my surprise, I found that monospaced Bitstream Vera looks nicer than DejaVu mono, so the best fonts to use depend a lot on what you're going to do with them.

Best,

Flavio Costa