[XeTeX] A typography question

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Aug 3 05:27:26 CEST 2009

I know zip about fonts.  We're creating some books that have lots of IPA
characters (and some other Roman characters with diacritics), as well as
Arabic (Nasta'liq and now Naskh).  So it would be nice to choose fonts
that go together harmoniously.

The need for IPA coverage rules out a lot of fonts.

We've been using the Charis SIL font for our Roman serif font, DejaVu
Sans for our Roman sans serif font, and Nafees Nastaleeq for Nasta'liq.

Sans serif is used exclusively in section and chapter titles.  Charis
doesn't exist in a sans serif font; is the Deja Vu sans font a
reasonable match?  If not, would it be better to use the Deja Vu serif
font in place of Charis, or conversely is there a sans serif font that
is a better match for Charis?

There's not much choice among Nasta'liq fonts, but for standard Naskh
there are of course lots of choices.  We do need to typeset Pashto, for
which some of the Unicode code points are not standard Arabic
characters; so I suppose there might be some Arabic fonts that wouldn't
have those characters.  But apart from that issue, does one try to match
an Arabic (Naskh) font to a Roman font?  Or do we just look for an
Arabic font that is "pretty"?
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?