[XeTeX] Advanced East Asian typesetting

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 23:18:07 CEST 2009

There is a package called zhspacing.sty to take care of proper line breaking etc when using CJK characters.

The package nruby.sty can be modified in a simple way to cooperate with the zhspacing package for ruby.

Vertical typesetting is possible if the font supports rotating glyphs. Then, put your text in a box, using rotated glyphs, then rotate the entire box to get vertical typesetting. It should be noted that this does not always work perfectly.

I wrote an article for the Dutch LaTeX magazine about this about a half a year ago. It must be hiding somewhere on a backup drive. If you want, I can send it to you, including the .tex source.

Regards,
Wilfred van Rooijen