[XeTeX] \newcommand and ZWNJ

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Apr 30 12:36:30 CEST 2009

Am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:44:01 +1030 schrieb
vafa at live.com.au:

> If I say for eaxmple:
>
> \catcode`\﷼=3

> ﷼ is equivalent to $ in Persian and say I have defined XeTeX math
> codes for Persian digits so that in maths mode I can have

> ﷼۱+۲=۳﷼

> Will it have any side effects? Or in other words can several
> characters have the same catcode without having any side effects?

I don't think that is is problematic if more than one char has the
catcode 3. The only side effect that I see is that your char will
loose its original catcode. E.g. if it was a "letter" before the
change you will no longer be able to use in a command. As long as
you are the only one doing this sort of things and you know what you
are doing it should work fine. But if other packages you use does
similar catcode juggling things could get complicated ;-).

--
Ulrike Fischer