[XeTeX] Bad glyph positions with DejaVu Sans Mono and Courier New

Tomáš Janoušek tomi at nomi.cz
Mon Apr 27 22:14:12 CEST 2009

Hello list,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 07:36:22PM +0200, Tomáš Janoušek wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:34:09AM -0700, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> > [...]
> > \setmonofont{Courier New}
> > [...]
> > but Acroread, evince, gv give exactly the same result. I can send you
> > screenshot if you like.
>
> Well, maybe you have another version of Courier New. Is it possible that you
> send me the font and the PDF output so that I can try that here?

We exchanged a few emails with Apostolos (with megabyte-sized attachment,
hence off-list) and we found this:

Courier New font that's shipped in msttcorefonts on Debian and with Windows XP
(about 300k in size) works incorrectly -- aligns glyphs to the left.

Courier New shipped with Windows Vista and OpenSolaris (about 690k in size)
works fine -- and in Windows Vista it has an OpenType icon (while being a .ttf
file, in fact).

Still no clue what's wrong with DejaVu Sans Mono, but at least I have a
working example of Courier New.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
--