[XeTeX] graphic filename in Chinese

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:14:48 CEST 2009

On 23 Apr 2009, at 16:03, Rembrandt Wolpert wrote:

> I.e., it is not a problem of XeTeX, but a problem of Windows.

Well, no, it's a problem of the windows implementation of xetex.

XeTeX converts filenames from its internal utf-16 to utf-8 in order to
pass them to the standard posix i/o functions like fopen(). This works
fine on OS X; it apparently works on some Linux/*BSD systems too,
although I suspect it may depend on system locale settings; but
apparently it doesn't work on Windows.

I guess xetex needs to either query the system to find out what
encoding to use for filenames like this, or else replace the use of
fopen() and similar functions with Unicode-based APIs. That'd be a bit
of a pain, I imagine.