[XeTeX] POLYGLOSSIA with Hebrew

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Apr 23 16:54:04 CEST 2009

sjo a écrit :
> I have tried doing Hebrew with polyglossia and ran into two problems.
>
> 1. In \begin{enumerate}, numbers are arabic, not in Hebrew. I am
> invoking Hebrew as
> \begin{hebrew}[numerals=hebrew]. Is there a way to get enumerations to
> work in Hebrew?

Add
\renewcommand\theenumi{\alph{enumi}}
in your preamble

> 2. The date for today shows up 5769 but the 5 is a ה rather than a ש, etc.

I get ‫ה׳ןסט‬ which is correct afaik. Note that the ה is followed by a
Geresh symbol (U+05F3) that separates blocks of three digits. Compare
the definition of  \@hebrew at numeral in §63.3.1 of the babel
documentation. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_numerals

I am aware that there are many ways to write Hebrew numerals, and
polyglossia only has a pretty basic algorithm. If you are willing to
submit a patch, I'd be most grateful!

Best,
FC