[XeTeX] POLYGLOSSIA with Hebrew

sjo sjo222 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 06:05:20 CEST 2009

I have tried doing Hebrew with polyglossia and ran into two problems.

1. In \begin{enumerate}, numbers are arabic, not in Hebrew. I am
invoking Hebrew as
\begin{hebrew}[numerals=hebrew]. Is there a way to get enumerations to
work in Hebrew?

2. The date for today shows up 5769 but the 5 is a ה rather than a ש, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. code is below.

Thanks

==========================
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra,url}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{english}
%\setotherlanguage[variant=british,ordinalmonthday=false]{english}
%\setotherlanguage[variant=poly]{greek}
\setotherlanguage{hebrew}
\setromanfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase,RawFeature={+locl}}
%\setmonofont{Inconsolata}
%\setsansfont{Gill Sans Std}
\newfontfamily\hebrewfont[Script=Hebrew,Scale=1]{Ezra SIL}
\parskip 1.33\baselineskip
\newcommand\showhyphmin{\fbox{\the\lefthyphenmin\ \the\righthyphenmin}}
\begin{document}

\begin{hebrew}[numerals=hebrew]
\begin{enumerate}
\item
חי3חי34חי43ח43ח43חיגכחגחיכ כגחכגיעגכיעגכ כגעכגיעכגיכגיע כגעיעיכ
כגיעקיעקריערק רקיערקיערקירקע רקרקירקיערקרק רקערקיערקיערק
רקיקררקעיקרלקרלקרחי
\item

חי3חי34חי43ח43ח43חיגכחגחיכ כגחכגיעגכיעגכ כגעכגיעכגיכגיע כגעיעיכ
כגיעקיעקריערק רקיערקיערקירקע רקרקירקיערקרק רקערקיערקיערק
רקיקררקעיקרלקרלקרחי
\end{enumerate}
 (\today\ = \hebrewtoday)
\end{hebrew}