[XeTeX] \listoftables, hyperref and xelatex

Arash Zeini azeini at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 02:11:42 CEST 2009

Hi Ross,

> Hi Jonathan, Arash and others,
>
> On 22/04/2009, at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
> > Aha. That's what I expected. So it's not a xetex- or xdvipdfmx-
> > specific problem; it seems that dvipdfmx doesn't support "nested"
> > annotations (links), which hyperref is trying to generate.
> >
> > I guess this could be fixed in the hyperref back-end, by making it
> > resolve such situations into separate links, or else it could be
> > suggested as an enhancement to the (x)dvipdfmx driver. But right now
> > it's not supported, and the driver is (correctly) warning you that it
> > can't do what your document requests.
>
> There may be a very easy solution to this, since I find
> it hard to believe that this hasn't been encountered before:
>
> >> If I use a \cite{} command in the caption of a table with the
> >> \listoftables command:
> >>
> >> \captionabove{Test Table \cite{Author_2007}}\label{table_Author}
> >>
> >> I get the following message, when compiling my document with
> >> xelatex (TL 2008:
>

> Presumably the error occurs when the .toc  file is being processed,
> so that the  \label{table_Author}  is irrelevant to the problem.
> (Arash, please test this!)

Yes, \label{table_Author} is irrelevant.

> Try using:
>
>      \captionabove{Test Table \protect\cite{Author_2007}}
>
> Do you still get the same problem?
>
> It would be interesting to look at the contents of the  ..toc  file
> that is produced, but with  \protect  and also without it.
>

> > JK
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>     Ross

I still get the same error and the same behaviour in the PDF file.

.toc file without \protect:

\select at language {english}
\contentsline {chapter}{List of Tables}{2}{section*.3}
\contentsline {chapter}{Bibliography}{4}{section*.5}

.toc file with \protect:

\select at language {english}
\contentsline {chapter}{List of Tables}{2}{section*.3}
\contentsline {chapter}{Bibliography}{4}{section*.5}

No difference!?!

Thanks,
Arash