[XeTeX] \listoftables, hyperref and xelatex

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 22 01:33:10 CEST 2009

Hi Jonathan, Arash and others,

On 22/04/2009, at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Aha. That's what I expected. So it's not a xetex- or xdvipdfmx-
> specific problem; it seems that dvipdfmx doesn't support "nested"
> annotations (links), which hyperref is trying to generate.
>
> I guess this could be fixed in the hyperref back-end, by making it
> resolve such situations into separate links, or else it could be
> suggested as an enhancement to the (x)dvipdfmx driver. But right now
> it's not supported, and the driver is (correctly) warning you that it
> can't do what your document requests.

There may be a very easy solution to this, since I find
it hard to believe that this hasn't been encountered before:

>> If I use a \cite{} command in the caption of a table with the
>> \listoftables command:
>>
>> \captionabove{Test Table \cite{Author_2007}}\label{table_Author}
>>
>> I get the following message, when compiling my document with
>> xelatex (TL 2008:

Presumably the error occurs when the .toc  file is being processed,
so that the  \label{table_Author}  is irrelevant to the problem.
(Arash, please test this!)

Try using:

     \captionabove{Test Table \protect\cite{Author_2007}}

Do you still get the same problem?

It would be interesting to look at the contents of the  .toc  file
that is produced, but with  \protect  and also without it.

> JK

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au