[XeTeX] t caron problem (gentium font?)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Apr 19 23:04:37 CEST 2009

Am 19.04.2009 um 02:40 schrieb Ross Moore:

> If you also include the line
>
>   \UndeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x0165}{\v}{t}
>
> then  \v{t}  will give you  t\char"030C  using the
> "Combining caron" at U+030C .

Shouldn't \v{t} combine t with COMBINING COMMA ABOVE at U+0313 (̓) or
COMBINING COMMA ABOVE RIGHT at U+0315 (̕) or MODIFIER LETTER
APOSTROPHE at U+02BC (ʼ) or a raised comma (or raised COMBINING COMMA
BELOW at U+0326)?

> My question is whether or not it is worthwhile building
> in checks of the font for the existence of the glyph?

This would slow down the slow XeTeX process even more. Maybe it's
worth to implement in xunicode a switch or option, maybe "further" or
"harder," which when given as package option, allows this deeper
poking. If nothing suitable is found a better font is proposed ...

Would it make sense to create a data base of fonts for certain
scripts which lists their version number related "features?" One
useful element would be a list of languages that this version of the
font actually supports fully, approximated, by construction.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,
par masochisme.