[XeTeX] Xetex doesnt display chinese characters in fonts that should have them

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 22:00:49 CEST 2009

Apparently the Chinese character is not in the font you want to use :-)). Note that OpenOffice substitutes a default font if you embed a chinese character in an 'environment font' that does not have Chinese characters. I put your text into OpenOffice, exported to PDF and noticed that ShanHeiSun-Uni font is used in the PDF, to set the Chinese character.

Your editors probably use some monospace font which contains a large amount of unicode glyphs, so it the character "shows up", but in your latex example you are requesting several fonts which do not contain CJK info and hence cannot display the character.

Use one of the OpenOffice fonts marked with 'AR' (Arphic Chinese fonts) - those have Chinese characters. Also note that the character appearing in your text is Japanese, although in this case the Chinese and Japanese characters may be identical.

> because I suck at LaTeX and I dont manage to restore the

And you still wonder why it doesn't work....

Also, take the \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} out of your latex doc - you want unicode, *not* T1.

Later,
Wilfred