[XeTeX] t caron problem (gentium font?)

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Apr 18 23:36:54 CEST 2009

Václav Šmilauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've problem with properly typesetting t caron (ť) with Gentium font. In
> czech typography, the caron should be transformed in a sort of
> apostrophe (for visual reasons), which is correctly done with all fonts
> I've tried except of Gentium.
>
>  \documentclass{article}
>  \usepackage{fontspec}
>  \begin{document}
>  	ť\fontspec{Gentium Book Basic}ť
>  \end{document}
>
> gives me such output: http://beta.arcig.cz/~eudoxos/temp/t.pdf (first ť
> is OK, the second is, it seems, simply composed from t and combining
> caron).

Hi Vaclav!

I tried your sample, and although I didn't look at your output, attached
you'll see what I get here with MacTeX2008 using the following code:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Ligatures=Common]{Charis SIL}

\begin{document}

\fontspec{Gentium}

\fontspec{Code2000}

\fontspec{Palatino}

\end{document}

When I tried Gentium Book Basic, I didn't get anything but the box (no
glyph). But Gentium worked. Then I randomly selected some other fonts.
Each of these examples produces pretty much the same output ... except
for Code2000. I also deliberately left out polyglossia.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery