[XeTeX] t caron problem (gentium font?)

Václav Šmilauer eudoxos at arcig.cz
Sat Apr 18 23:11:14 CEST 2009

Hello,

I've problem with properly typesetting t caron (ť) with Gentium font. In
czech typography, the caron should be transformed in a sort of
apostrophe (for visual reasons), which is correctly done with all fonts
I've tried except of Gentium.

 \documentclass{article}
 \usepackage{fontspec}
 \begin{document}
 	ť\fontspec{Gentium Book Basic}ť
 \end{document}

gives me such output: http://beta.arcig.cz/~eudoxos/temp/t.pdf (first ť
is OK, the second is, it seems, simply composed from t and combining
caron).

However, Gentium proof prints clearly _do_ have the correct form of ť
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?site_id=nrsi&format=file&media_id=Gentium_RU_proofs&filename=Gentium_RU_proofs.pdf, page 5: precomposed latin diacritics lowercase).

My question therefore is, if the problem is in me, in font handling, in
Gentium or elsewhere. (I read that polyglossia supports some
language-specific font features, but I am on TeXLive 2007 (ubuntu
packages) that doesn't include polyglossia yet.)

Regards, Vaclav