[XeTeX] Is the apprentice's incompetence?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Apr 17 18:29:47 CEST 2009

Am 17.04.2009 um 17:33 schrieb Andres Conrado Montoya:

> I am a very junior newbie in the TeX/LaTeX/XeTeX world

XeTeX is TeX. Plus a few things like text encoding in UTF-8 and
particularly the ability to use your system's fonts directly. There
isn't much documentation, 'texdoc XeTeX-notes' (omit the notes on
xdv2pdf) and 'texdoc XeTeX-reference' will show you all.

LaTeX is a customised and humanised TeX. It introduces some
restrictions, and it also offers much ready to use stuff
("packages"). XeLaTeX is LaTeX with the XeTeX additions. And
particularly the fontspec package ('texdoc fontspec' on the command
line).

IMO learning LaTeX is sufficient. The LaTeX packages geometry,
xcolor, graphicx, hyperref should provide quite everything. For
hyphenation babel or polyglossia are useful. The book “The LaTeX
Companion” is not bad.

Are you going to design the books' covers or their contents? XeLaTeX
is perfectly suited for the covers. If the contents contains too much
maths you would have to make some compromises. Maybe better results
can be achieved with ConTeXt and XeTeX ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.