[XeTeX] Faking an accent when that glyph is unavailable

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 10 03:14:12 CEST 2009

Hi again Henry,

On 10/04/2009, at 5:03 AM, Henry de Valence wrote:

> On Thu April 9 2009 8:51:00 am David Perry wrote:
>> Henry,
>>
>> Ross rightly pointed out the distinction between combining and
>> spacing
>> diacritics, and you do want to use the combining version U+030B.
>>

> Apparently this font doesn't have the combining version, only the
> spacing; why
> they would include one and not the other is a mystery to me.
> Anyways, I have
> had success using the \hungo command that places the spacing
> version atop the
> o manually.

In that case, try the following coding in the preamble:

\makeatletter
   \newcommand{\hungo at xunicode}{%
     {\let\add at encoded@accent\add at set@accentMOD
      \H{o}}}
   \def\UseXunicodeHungo{\let\hungo\hungo at xunicode}
\makeatletter

Then use the command  \UseXunicodeHungo
to make  \hungo  use this method.

Again there is no explicit setting of boxes for manual positioning.
What this will do is to use LaTeX's own internal
  \set at accent  command to position the non-combining
accent character.

You can test via:

    Erd\hungo s wrote many papers with many co-authors.

{\UseXunicodeHungo
    Erd\hungo s wrote many papers with many co-authors.
}

and compare the results of using the 2 different methods.

The method  \add at set@accentMOD  and  pointer  \add at encoded@accent
are already defined and used internally within  xunicode.sty .

If your testing proves successful, then I can implement
an automatic fallback to use  \add at set@accentMOD
whenever the precomposed letters and combining accent character
are not available in the particular font.

This will mean that your LaTeX source need use have  \H{o}
independent of whichever font is to be used.
Surely this is the most desirable approach.

> It's less elegant, but it works.
>
> Thanks for all the advice; it's great to be able to get help.
>
> Henry
>
> P.S.: XeLaTeX is really awesome (I'm sure you already know this,
> but I only
> discovered it recently).

It's only so because of the work put in freely by many people
within the TeX community. Visit  http://www.tug.org/  to follow up
on this great free software project that has been going for close
on 30 years.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Noore

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au