[XeTeX] Faking an accent when that glyph is unavailable

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 14:51:00 CEST 2009

Henry,

Ross rightly pointed out the distinction between combining and spacing
diacritics, and you do want to use the combining version U+030B.

If you are lucky, the font has this character and the font maker has set
things up so that the combining accent will appear correctly positioned
over the o.  I just tried this in XeTeX with a font of this sort, and it
worked perfectly.  I pasted the combining double acute from the
clipboard, but you could use \char"030B also.  Try it and see what happens.

If this doesn't work, then try the more complicated suggestions that
other folks have given.

David