[XeTeX] Faking an accent when that glyph is unavailable

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 9 09:36:11 CEST 2009

Hello Henry

In such situtations I still find a use for ancient macros.  The following
should superimpose the Hungarian double acute on the o.

Before you actually need it, give:

\def\overstrike#1#2{\leavevmode
   \setbox0=\hbox{#1}\setbox1=\hbox{#2}\copy0
   \kern -0.5\wd0 \kern -0.5\wd1 \copy1 \kern -0.5\wd1 \kern 0.5\wd0}

Then define your 'o with Hungarian double acute' as follows:

\def\hungo{\overstrike{o}{\char"02DD}}

And whenever you want this character just type \hungo:  so Erd{\hungo}s

(I personally prefer that visually to Erd\hungo s  - but Erd\hungo s will do
it also.)  If you don't like '\hungo' just replace it with whatever you're
comfortable with.

This is hamfisted (based on the old days when to get a thorn on the
typewriter one used to type a p then backspace and type a b), but if you
just want the printout to be right, it should be OK - assuming, of course,
that 02DD really is in the font you are using!

Best

John