[XeTeX] Typesetting Indian languages with XeTeX

Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Wed Apr 8 07:15:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

  I am having some trouble typesetting Hindi text, even
using Samples/HindiOpenType.tex directly. Everything seems
to run fine, but the conjuncts are not rendered properly.
Please contrast http://indlinux.org:8000/media/hi-sample.jpg
to the rendering of the Hindi text at the top of
http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex (the difference is
clearly visible in the bold heading, where the former
incorrectly shows the ka + ya conjunct that is properly rendered
in the latter).

  The problem persists even if I try using a different Unicode
Hindi font, and is also seen with Oriya. Could someone please
guide me as to what I am doing wrong? I am running the XeTeX
component of TeXLive on a Ubuntu 8.10 box, and my environment
is properly set up for UTF-8. The conjuncts are also properly
rendered when opening the TeX input file in gedit, etc.

Regards,
Gora