[XeTeX] Mongolian

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 4 18:43:48 CEST 2009

On 4 Apr 2009, at 17:05, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Le 4 avr. 09 à 01:19, Gareth Hughes a écrit :
>
>> Does anyone on the list have any experience of typesetting vertical
>> Classical Mongolian in ICU? I've tried a number of fonts (Code2000,
>> Manchu) used "Script=Mongolian" under fontspec and the
>> \rotatebox{-90}{text} orientation. Any suggestions/hints?
>
> With \rotatebox I get the whole paragraph on a single column. But
> some time ago Jonathan posted a macro on this list, precisely to
> rotate paragraphs in Mongolian or Manchu. You will find it in the
> attached example, which works for me.

Wow, that must be an old example! Since v.0.99, there's an
experimental feature in xetex that allows you to avoid the macro
trickery to reverse the order of lines in a paragraph (so that once
they're rotated, they will run from left to right rather than right to
left); this allows you to simplify that example, as attached here.