[XeTeX] a pdf made with XeTeX doesn't open properly in graphics programs

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Sep 16 18:13:38 CEST 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Grzegorz Murzynowski wrote:

> I made a file with XeTeX and wanted to print it in a professional
> printing workshop but then came out that the font is not recognized
> and substituted with a system sans serif.
>

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmainfont{TeX Gyre Pagella}
> \begin{document}
>
> \Large
> A~quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
> \end{document}
>
> The pdf file looks perfectly well in Adobe Reader (of course) but in
> Inkscape and in some program that workshop uses — default sans serif
> is used instead, I attach both screenshots.

Did you load a copy of TeX Gyre Pagella for use w/ Inkscape or said
graphics program? If it's not available, a GUI program won't be able
to use it --- if one must edit a .pdf when a font is not available to
the local system, pretty much the only option is Enfocus PitStop, a
plug-in for Adobe Acrobat.

When I use OpenType fonts in XeTeX, then open .pdfs w/ the fonts
activated in Adobe Illustrator or some other graphics program they
``just work''.

William

--
William Adams