[XeTeX] XeTeX incorrectly scales JPEG and other graphics files

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 13 14:36:21 CEST 2008

Am 13.09.2008 um 01:59 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>> When inserting a JPEG image (can also be PDF or PNG) XeTeX uses the
>> extractbb programme
>
> It does?

Well, today it doesn't, could be yesterday it also did not, although
I remember that with the more complicated original file I had to use
xelatex with -shell-escape once one of the days before yesterday ...
and then I saw the XBB file, which motivated me to produce the BB
file manually. More details and LOG files can't be recalled, and on
Tiger no TimeMachine, or VMS versioning system, is available ...

> It shouldn't. That sounds like it's not using the proper xetex.def
> file.

The LOG files show that

	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetex-def/xetex.def

or

	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/dvipdfmx-def/dvipdfmx.def

are used when using no option or the [dvipdfmx] option. But, as
explained to Bruno, in Emacs' shell I could have been in elder
release ...

Anyway, when I courageously deleted the *BB files, the image size was
correct again. And I was not able to persuade XeTeX again to produce
the XBB file, as described to Bruno. Regenerating the BB file on the
command line and running xelatex again I had the small image again.
When using the [dvipdfmx] option the image size remained correct,
also when the BB file was present. The presence of the XBB file had
never, in no case, an influence on the image's size.

So the reason for the small size is finally found! Explanation still
missing (both Mac OS X output drivers make the small image appear
when no option to graphicx is passed at its load time and the BB file
exists).

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
				– Blaise Pascal