[XeTeX] Beginner with a basic question re: phonetic characters

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:30:00 CEST 2008

On 12/09/2008, at 3:46 PM, Matthew Bradley wrote:

> I'm sorry for this super-basic question, but I'm new to xetex and
> just can't figure out the answer from the documentation. I'm trying
> to input a number of phonetic symbols (glottal stops and thetas, for
> example) in Hoefler Text among other fonts and end up with a box
> with an X through the middle in the PDF. Am I supposed to be
> inputting the symbols directly or is there some method of inputting
> the Unicode code?

Inputting the symbols is preferred (although xunicode defines all of
the TIPA commands to be compatible -- I believe), but this will only
work for fonts that actually contain those glyphs and accents.

Try with a font like Lucida Grande first to check that it's working,
and then I'm sure other list members will be able to suggest a slew of
other fonts that will work and look nice, too :)

Cheers,
Will