[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, polyglossia, babel, hyperref, fontspec, ...

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Sat Sep 6 08:09:55 CEST 2008

Hello.

Le 5 sept. 08 à 23:57, TeXWorld a écrit :

> Can I continue using babel (with french option) without problem or
> should I use polyglossia ?

If you want your texts to be in pure Unicode Polyglossia seems to be
a better choice.

> Is Polyglossia as powerful as babel ?

If you're alluding to macros such as \og and \up{e} they don't exist
in Polyglossia and you don't need them: just type « or ᵉ.

> I have always been told to load babel and hyperref packages at the
> end of preamble. What about xlxtra and fontspec and polyglossia ?
> Should
> I load them before or after babel or hyperref ?

About hyperref I don't know. As Peter said xltxtra loads fontspec, so
you can only load the first one. As far as I know it doesn't matter
whether you load fontspec before polyglossia or the other way round.
But why would you load both polyglossia and babel? You want your text
to be in pure Unicode or you want to use babel's macros.

Best wishes,

Yves