[XeTeX] Floated tables below footnotes

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 29 10:15:33 CET 2008

On positioning, the old rule (in hot-metal days at OUP) was that if an
illustration or other floating item occupied up to half the page-depth it
should be placed slightly above centre (i.e. it's central point should be
slightly above the central point of the page-depth); larger floats should be
placed either at the top (preferable) or the bottom so that readers don't
have just a few lines to read above and below the float; but it was never
envisaged that anything should appear below a footnote:  the footnotes are
always the last item on the page (if one discounts items such as below-page
catch-lines or copyright-lines).

The various permutations are usefully illustrated at the end of Hart's Rules
if you can get hold of a copy, and of course these old regulations were
slowly evolved over several centuries of printing academic books.  (But then
I'm old-fashioned enough to think [most of the time] that the highest praise
you can bestow on a modern book is that it looks nearly as good as the real
thing.)

John