[XeTeX] pstricks pst-math pst-plot and xelatex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 28 12:19:03 CET 2008

Am 28.10.2008 um 04:33 schrieb Barry MacKichan:

> The PDF and the log file are attached.

By comparing your and Martin Scholz' LOG files I see some differences
(some basic path elements substituted):

MS	…/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pstricks/pstricks.sty		«««««««
	Package: pstricks 2008/01/24 v0.37 LaTeX wrapper for `PSTricks' (RN,HV)
	(…/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex
	`PSTricks' v1.26  <2008/07/31> (tvz)

	`PST-3d' v1.00, 2005/09/03 (tvz)) `pstricks-add' v3.11, 2008/10/13
(dr,hv)

BMcK	…/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/latex/pstricks.sty	«««««««
	Package: pstricks 2008/01/24 v0.37 LaTeX wrapper for `PSTricks' (RN,HV)
	(…/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex
	`PSTricks' v1.26  <2008/07/31> (tvz)

	`PST-3d' v1.00, 2005/09/03 (tvz)) `pstricks-add' v3.08, 2008/08/06
(dr,hv)

(I have …/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/latex/pstricks.sty and
`pstricks-add' v3.08)

Coming to some background: XeLaTeX does nothing with the PSTricks
code that is behind the PSTricks macros. All it does is create in
PostScript a dictionary tx at Dict that contains PostScript resources
(PRO files with PostScript macro definitions, for arrows, ticks on
the axes) and then the actual PostScript code for the "drawing."
XeLaTeX can't handle both, and neither xdvipdfmx, but the latter as
the output driver has to use some utility that converts the embedded
foreign code into something useful that can be put into the resulting
PDF file. For this purpose it uses external programmes. So we need to
observe how xdvipdfmx works, as Barry already did.

This can be done by invoking xelatex with the -no-pdf option that
only <file name>.xdv is produced. Most likely without any error
messages. Then "xdvipdfmx <file name>" can be invoked, producing the
error messages. So the cause for the failures is obviously in the
version of Ghostscript used, although it's possible that the
PostScript code has some flaw. Ulrike and I can produce the whole
picture with Ghostscript 8.61 while you and Martin fail at this or
that stage in the PostScript code. You could consider to change the
\psaxes call (no arrows?), and you could consider to use another kind
of graph, maybe an old-fashioned one from the beginning of PSTricks
to see whether the failure persists with your Ghostscript versions.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
				– Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi