[XeTeX] Howto change captionlabels with Polyglossia and komascript

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 27 22:22:00 CET 2008

On Sunday 26 October 2008, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> > With the polyglossia package it doesn't work anymore. Does somebody
> > know how to change the captionlabels when polyglossia is used? I
> > work with the komascript class scrartcl.
>
> I would try simply \renewcommand\figurename{Abb.}

This will not work, because localized strings are redefined each time
a language switching command is executed. So, indeed, the lack of a
command similar to \addto seems to be a serious disadvantage of the
polyglossia package. BTW there was an \oaddto command in antomega,
but, unfortunately, it was not incorporated into polyglossia together
with other stuff.

Last time I faced this problem I resolved it by loading babel
together with polyglossia, while babel was needed solely to provide
the \addto command. Of course I would prefer to have a better solution.

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty