[XeTeX] How does xetex handle non-native image files such as eps?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Oct 23 23:17:18 CEST 2008

Am 23.10.2008 um 21:26 schrieb Yuan Qi:

> Basically, I am wondering if it's possible for the file conversion
> to happen
> before the file is compiled so that a separate boundingbox file is
> not needed.

You should not need to care for this. XeTeX does not need an external
file that contains the picture's dimensions, it either extracts these
values itself (pdfTeX is able to retrieve the dimensions of an
included graphics file and assign them to dimen variables) or leaves
this to the output driver, since the XDV file (as a DVI file too)
only contains a reference. Since \includegraphics not always sets the
dimensions XeTeX obviously has the ability to extract the values from
the graphics file and reserve space for it in the page's layout.

--
Greetings

   Pete

 From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.