[XeTeX] Including jpgs

Mohamed Bana m.bana.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 15:50:06 CEST 2008

Hi everybody!

I'd like to xetex to compile a few documents but I'm running into a problem;

1. I can't seem to include jpgs into the file i'm trying to compile. It
seems like I have to manually convert the jpg to eps which is time
consuming. When i use the xetex engine with context all of this is
transparent, that is, i can use both eps and jpg when i compile with
xetex as the engine, whilst with xelatex i have to convert the files to
eps or it complains.

I think it defaults to xdvipdfmx when I try to compile a doc with
xelatex. I've attached the log file if you need to look at it, that said
this is probably the most important part;

! LaTeX Error: File `picture' not found.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.44 \maketitle

? x

2. Myriad Pro doesn't come with small caps right?

System info;
Vista 64bit, texlive 2008.

 >xetex -version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)
kpathsea version 3.5.7
Copyright 2008 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2008 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.8.1 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.3.7; using 2.3.7
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.6.0; using 2.6.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.29; using 1.2.29
Compiled with xpdf version 3.02pl2

 >xelatex -version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)
kpathsea version 3.5.7
Copyright 2008 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2008 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.8.1 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.3.7; using 2.3.7
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.6.0; using 2.6.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.29; using 1.2.29
Compiled with xpdf version 3.02pl2

 >xdvipdfmx -version
<FONTMAP:cm-dvipdfm-fix.map><FONTMAP:dvipdfm.map><FONTMAP:cid-x.map>
** WARNING ** dvipdfm "-e" option not supported.

Missing bitmap font dpi after "-r".

This is xdvipdfmx-0.7.3 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
an extended version of DVIPDFMx, which in turn was
an extended version of dvipdfm-0.13.2c developed by Mark A. Wicks.

Copyright (c) 2006-2008 SIL International and Jin-Hwan Cho.

This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version.

Usage: xdvipdfmx [options] xdvfile
-c              Ignore color specials (for B&W printing)
-d number       Set PDF decimal digits (0-5) [2]
-f filename     Set font map file name
-g dimension    Annotation "grow" amount [0.0in]
-h              Show this help message
-hh             Print usage with list of available paper formats
-l              Landscape mode
-m number       Set additional magnification [1.0]
-o filename     Set output file name [dvifile.pdf]
-p papersize    Set papersize [a4]
-q              Be quiet
-r resolution   Set resolution (in DPI) for raster fonts [600]
-s pages        Select page ranges (-)
-t              Embed thumbnail images of PNG format [dvifile.1]
-x dimension    Set horizontal offset [1.0in]
-y dimension    Set vertical offset [1.0in]
-z number       Set zlib compression level (0-9) [9]
-v              Be verbose
-vv             Be more verbose
-C number       Specify miscellaneous option flags [0]:
                   0x0001 reserved
                   0x0002 Use semi-transparent filling for tpic shading
command,
                          instead of opaque gray color. (requires PDF 1.4)
                   0x0004 Treat all CIDFont as fixed-pitch font.
                   0x0008 Do not replace duplicate fontmap entries.
                 Positive values are always ORed with previously given
flags.
                 And negative values replace old values.
-D template     PS->PDF conversion command line template [none]
-E              Always try to embed fonts, regardless of licensing flags.
-K number       Key bits for PDF encryption (40 or 128) [40]
-O number       Set maximum depth of open bookmark items [0]
-P number       Set permission flags for PDF encryption [0x003C]
-S              Enable PDF encryption
-V number       Set PDF minor version [4]

All dimensions entered on the command line are "true" TeX dimensions.
Argument of "-s" lists physical page ranges separated by commas, e.g.,
"-s 1-3,5
-6"
Papersize is specified by paper format (e.g., "a4") or by
w<unit>,h<unit> (e.g.,
  "20cm,30cm").
Please type "xdvipdfmx -hh" for the list of available paper format.