[XeTeX] Ledpar package problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Oct 22 00:43:42 CEST 2008

On 21 Oct 2008, at 8:48 PM, Karol Szwed wrote:

> Hello,
> I have compiled, with Arash Zeini's great help and support (many
> thanks!)
> a ledpar file, which has strange behaviour (see at pdf output).

What particular "strange" behavior is troubling you? I see lots of
overfull lines; is that what you mean?

On the Greek side, it's trying hard but with so many long words and
narrow columns, you need to relax the spacing parameters a bit if TeX
is to have a chance. On the Polish side, notice that there is no
hyphenation; I don't see anywhere you've set the appropriate
hyphenation language for this text. That would probably help.

A simple addition of \sloppy after \begin{document} will resolve the
overfull lines, but the spacing won't be very nice; for better
results, you need to enable hyphenation in the Polish column.

> Can anybody tell me, what I'm doing wrong?

I tried to process your document but ran into several error messages,
including:

! LaTeX Error: Unknown option `polish' for package `xgreek'.

! LaTeX Error: Unknown option `monospacing' for package `setspace'.

These might indicate that you have newer versions of these packages
with additional options, or they might indicate that the packages
don't support what you're trying to ask them to do.

! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
}
l.87 \pend

! Misplaced alignment tab character &.
<argument> PG &
SCh: ἐξεταστικὴν.
l.91 \Columns

These seem to suggest that something is slightly wrong with the
document markup.