[XeTeX] XeTeXcharclass inserts spaces

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Oct 20 18:26:44 CEST 2008

On 20 Oct 2008, at 5:10 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the following document I get spaces between the "a" and the "b",
> but
> not between "d" and "b". Bug or feature?

Feature, not bug, I believe.

I think you're seeing the effects of the default classes and interchar
toks assignments that are found at the end of unicode-letters.tex, to
provide some basic functionality for CJK text (though of course
packages like zhspacing do a far more thorough job). The unicode-
letters file uses class 1 for ideographs, 2 for opening punctuation,
and 3 for closing, and arranges to insert a little space before and
after runs of CJK text, among other things. (See the source for the
actual details.)

JK