[XeTeX] Polyglossia+KOMA: Wrong font for localized chapter names

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Mon Oct 6 10:32:22 CEST 2008

Am Sun, 5 Oct 2008 14:56:13 +0200 schrieb Martin Engler:

> Hello
>
> I am using scrreprt and want to switch from PDFLaTeX to XeLaTeX. When
> you are using Polyglossia, localized names like \abstractname are
> printed with the normal roman font. Other chapter names are printed
> bold sans serif. The same effect can be observed in the table of
> contents.
> The problem is that \textenglish overrides the font setting already
> made.
> Redefining \english at font to \relax seems to solve the problem for
> documents written only in a latin script.
>
> Is there a better way to solve this problem and how would my solution
> affect documents written in multiple scripts?

I would say that this is a design flaw in polyglossia. Font switches
should be done when you switch languages and not in the fixed names.

I would copy the definition of \captionsenglish and remove the
\textenglish commands.

Btw: Another problem is that polyglossia resets the font to \normalfont
even when the script doesn't need a change:

\documentclass[paper=a4,11pt,]{scrreprt}

\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage{german}