[XeTeX] Introduction to list

Alan Cockerill acockeri at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 5 02:56:10 CEST 2008

Hello Tobi and others,

I am completely new to this list, and do not have a background in
typesetting or design. My background is in Russian language studies, and my
wife is Japanese.  I typed her thesis for her, which contained English,
Russian and Japanese script, using Nisus Writer on a Mac, then had to
convert it to Word when she published it as a book. I also have an interest
in Yoga and Indian Spirituality, and am working on an English language text
with some Sanscrit quotations. I am interested in publishing my own
translations from Russian, and was advised by a friend, who has used TEX and
XETEX for many years, to look at XETEX for setting up my books.

Can anyone advise me on the best way for a beginner to set up XETEX in a
Windows XP environment? I do not currently have access to a Mac. I would
prefer to work with a graphical interface or easy text editor if one is
available, but am prepared to learn how to use code if that is the best way
to go. Would Eclipse or some other program be worth looking at?

Tobi, I could look up a quotation for you by Lomonosov, an 18th century
scholar, extolling the virtues of Russian, and comparing it with other
European languages, but I am not sure it that is what you are looking for.

Thank you for any help.

Alan Cockerill
Brisbane, Australia