[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Sanskrit

Robert Zydenbos indoxetex at go4more.de
Sat Oct 4 13:14:46 CEST 2008

Yves Codet schreef:

> I am extending "hyph-sa.tex" (Sanskrit hyphenation patterns) so as to
> incorporate Gujarati script. [...]

> I wonder if this behaviour of Polyglossia should not be changed.
> Actually Sanskrit has no proper script, or it has many. If Devanagari
> is often preferred nowadays if does not mean that it is *the*
> Sanskrit script. I would be interested to know what members of the
> list think.

You are perfectly right. [Deva]Nagari was popularized as "the" script
for Sanskrit by the British after the founding of the first three modern
universities of India in Madras, Calcutta and Bombay, so that Sanskrit
scholars could read publications from all three of them knowing only one
script. But still today, Sanskrit texts are also being printed
throughout India in the script of the local modern language (Kannada,
Bengali, Grantha in Tamilnadu,...).

I imagine that it ought to be relatively easy to adjust the Polyglossia
package, since all the Brahmi-origin scripts of India are abugida
scripts, having the same structure. Perhaps the demand that Devanagari
is to be used can simply be removed, somehow.

RZ