[XeTeX] Fontspec Bug

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Nov 20 15:26:19 CET 2008

On 20 Nov 2008, at 07:26, Heba Soliman wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> Thank you all for your replies, I prepared some samples with free
> fonts.
>
> Please find the attached PDFs with the names of the fonts.
>
> I used:
>
> 1-Arial

It looks like Arial (or at least the version you're using) does not
support proper diacritic positioning at all, it simply places them at
fixed positions.

> 2-Andalso

This seems to have some diacritic positioning, but it's not very
carefully controlled. I wonder if it's using an older, substitution-
based approach rather than GPOS and attachment points.

Also, there appears to be a glitch in the display of one of the base
characters (in the third from last sample word).

> 3-LateefRegOT

Here, the diacritic positioning is working as it should. But Lateef
doesn't have ligatures such as the initial lam-meem, so it's not
really comparable to your original sample.

> I observed that they are different in the bugs places.

Yes, they are, because they have varying levels of support for
ligatures and diacritic positioning. I don't think any of these shows
the same problem as you have with the Linotype font in your original
sample; in these cases, I think xetex is correctly handling the font,
to the extent that the font itself is designed to work. I still think
the original problem may be a bug in the support for diacritic
positioning with ligatures, but none of these examples shows that
exact situation.

JK