[XeTeX] How to tell Xetex don't embed some ttf font into pdf

Thomas Bohn thomas at bohnomat.de
Thu Nov 20 00:23:06 CET 2008

On 22:45, Wed 19 Nov 08, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

> These answers by you and Martin both miss the poster's point, which is
> to use the default Chinese fonts in Adobe Reader.

Not everyone reads PDF files with the Adobe Reader.

> They are part of Adobe's "Asian Font Pack" and can be installed on
> demand from Adobe Reader

So those fonts are not standard included in the Adobe Reader therefore
not available on _all_ Adobe Reader installations.

> I even wrote some code for ConTeXt to support not embedding these fonts in
> pdfTeX (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028960.html).

I can't read your PDF file with Evince. So where is the advantage, when
people who don't use Adobe Reader with the Asian fonts can't read those
files. Font embedding makes absolute sense for languages with different
signs than latin.

Thomas