[XeTeX] Charis SIL glyph variants

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Nov 17 23:01:23 CET 2008

On 17 Nov 2008, at 19:10, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> Is it possible to select the different glyph
> variants in Charis SIL with commands or do I
> have to hack the font itself?  Specifically
> I need to use the capital Eng with hook at
> the baseline, but only in some documents.
> I'm on Ubuntu, in case that matters.

You can do this by loading Charis SIL with the Graphite rendering
option, which allows you to access the optional features (as mentioned
in the documentation at http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=CharisSIL_Technical#14f962c7
, although I just noticed that some feature names may not be quite
accurate there).

%%%%%% test file %%%%%%%
\font\x="Charis SIL" at 12pt
\font\y="Charis SIL/GR:Uppercase Eng alternates=Large eng on baseline"
at 12pt

\x This is Charis with the default capital Eng, Ŋ.

\y This is Charis with an alternate capital Eng, Ŋ.

\end

Although both capital Eng characters in the source are simply U+014A,
they will render with different glyphs because of the optional feature
applied in the second font definition.

**WARNING**

Unfortunately, it turns out that a bug in xetex 0.999.6 (and earlier)
means that it will go into an infinite loop if you try this, but if
you can build 0.999.7 from the source in Subversion (from either the
xetex or texlive repositories), it should work.